The Sisters of St. Joseph trace their history back to 17th Century France when a Jesuit named Jean Pierre Médaille, SJ, assisted a group of women involved in ministry with the poor. He helped them to organize an order of religious women who, rather than remaining safely cloistered in a convent, would venture out into the community, seeking out "the dear neighbors," and ministering to their needs. The congregation managed to survive the turbulence of the French Revolution and eventually expanded, not only throughout France, but throughout the world.
The Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange were founded in 1912. Their ministries include healthcare, education, retreat ministry, spiritual direction and pastoral ministry.